Are you looking to write a synthesis essay? Are you struggling with the structure and approach of preparing a synthesis essay? If so, you are at the right place. This article will analyze the structure, style, and tone of writing an essay topic.
What is a synthesis essay?
A synthesis essay is a paper that takes a unique perspective on a central theme and backs it up with credible sources. This essay thus tests your ability to argue a point and your understanding of a subject.
The synthesis essay thus summarizes and contrasts your ideas on a topic with what other sources have to offer. As such, the synthesis essay is highly reliant on research and knowledge of a provided topic.
Types of synthesis essay
There are three major types of synthesis essays:
- Review essay
A review essay is a critical analysis of the key information that has been tackled in existing sources. The opinions expressed on a topic have to be backed by credible sources and highlight various gaps in the existing research.
- Expository essay
Unlike argument essays, expository essays are geared toward analyzing all the existing information on a particular topic. These essays are not geared toward arguing a specific point but rather towards analyzing the topic and gauging the overall progress that has been made in investigating a specific idea.
- Argument essay
An argument essay is aimed at persuading the reader to a certain standpoint by presenting their claims and providing the necessary support. These essays can also be used to dispel various flawed counterarguments and falsified characteristics.
How to write a synthesis essay
Some of the steps that should come in handy when writing your synthesis essay include:
- Choosing a synthesis essay topic
The first stage in writing your essay is to brainstorm the ideas that evoke your curiosity and those which you have encountered in the course of study. Next, jot these ideas down and search for sources to support various claims.
- Analyze your topic
Next, gauge the extent of the topic and the ideas that you can analyze within the topic. Here, research the general topic and narrow down your research to various popular ideas within the topic.
- Create an essay outline
After selecting your topic, research the topic and organize your ideas in a manner that achieves flow in the topic. Next, create an outline that sorts these ideas into sections that will be made into paragraphs.
- Draft your essay
After research, write your essay and investigate the errors that you can correct in the work. You can also gauge the goals that have not been achieved in your work and perform further research to address these issues.
How to title a synthesis essay
The title is a crucial part of the essay that helps the reader determine the context of your topic. When writing the title of your essay, include the keyword, the thesis statement, and your key idea of the topic.
Next, condense these ideas and express them in a single sentence. The title should not show your stand but rather indicate the idea under investigation. E.g., is punishment an effective way to rectify negative behavior among students?
List of 35 sample topics for synthesis essay
Best topics to write a synthesis essay on
- Consider how poverty affects a child’s health.
- Explain the significance of invading species.
- Is it Legal or Illegal to Prostitute?
- Discuss the environmental impact of fossil energy.
- Extend your discussion of the impact of machine learning on workplace efficiency.
- The school’s uniform policy and how it must be followed.
- Felons who have been convicted of a felony and their voting rights
- The importance of strong gun laws in various nations
Fresh synthesis essay prompts ideas
- How efficient is today’s educational system?
- Is the environment considered when building new housing areas?
- What variables have an impact on fashion?
- How important is violent imagery in different types of art?
- Why is obesity becoming a more serious issue?
- Why do people still believe in superstitions?
- Is it a smart idea to home-school your child?
- Is the exploration of space critical to humanity’s survival?
- What are the most pressing reforms that need to be made in the educational system?
Good synthesis of essay topics
- Is it necessary to give free university education? Is it necessary to give free college education?
- Should teachers in grades K-12 be permitted to carry guns on campus?
- What impact does pollution in the atmosphere play on global warming?
- What are the effects of climate change on agricultural production?
- What effect does poverty have on the health of children?
- Is cannabis legalization in the United States a good idea?
- Should ads on television be called art?
- Is it possible for people to grow happier by accumulating riches and possessions?
Interesting topics for a synthesis essay
- What role has tech played in making the world a global village?
- What is the impact of illiteracy on our society?
- Why should children not be targeted by advertisements?
- People’s feelings of happiness are influenced by how much they complain.
- Why are impoverished individuals more likely than rich people to find up in prison?
- Before getting married, couples should not live together.
- Why are so many students hesitant to read their textbooks?
- Should male and female athletes be paid the same and given the same opportunities?
- Why is sadness the most common societal ailment?
- The impact of social media platforms on people’s daily lives